We'll be talking about vulnerability and product design. Two documents worth skimming beforehand are:
- Guide to Inclusive Design in Essential Services: written with vulnerability in mind, worth reading section two if nothing else, particularly pg 36-42
- FCA guidance on product design for vulnerable customers: pg 24-30
It'd be super helpful if you can skim the sections mentioned above before tomorrow afternoon (which might take you ~20 min), as it'll give you a good foundation to build on.
Please come prepared to get involved – it'll be pretty interactive. And come to the table with ideas about what vulnerability means to you and your product, and what issues you'd like to focus on and solve for vulnerable customers.
- Our guide to Inclusive Design in Essential Services: particularly relevant are pages 28-42 (Immersing ourselves in customer needs) and the 'Wear different hats' exercise outlined on page 80.
- We talked about creating safe spaces in different ways for research and I mentioned this toolkit from Deepr on building human connection.
- Netflix documentaries: 'Money Explained' on credit cards (~20 min), 'Dirty Money' on a US payday lender.
- Idean's 'Cards for Humanity'
- We talked about what products might look like as people; if you want to develop that conversation re: friend/parent/aunt, here's a branding archetype framework that's widely used.
- Article on empathy vs. compassion
Further reading – extra credit!
- On vulnerability:
- Commission for Customer in Vulnerable Circumstances report
- FCA report on financial lives of vulnerable customers
- Money Advice Trust resources on vulnerability
- Digisafe safeguarding guide
- Capital One Vulnerability Handbook (attached)
- On design and inclusive design:
- Content Design book (originated at GDS)
- Calm Technology book
- Mindful Design Decisions book
- Putting communities at the heart of programme design
- Jutta Treviranus The inclusive design visionary on why diversity is our greatest asset and inclusion our greatest challenge.
- Mindsets for co-design
- How to design for assholes
- The Trust Manifesto book (written around fintech, but take it with a grain of salt!)